22 October 2013, 00:05

6 killed, 37 people injured in terrorist act in Russia

6 killed, 37 people injured in terrorist act in Russia

As many as 37 people were injured in the bus explosion in the city of Volgograd, in the southeast of the European part of Russia. “According to preliminary reports as of 23:00 Moscow time (19:00 GMT) 43 casualties were reported, including six people who were killed. Thirty were taken to the hospitals and seven received outpatient treatment,” the Russian Ministry of Emergency Situations said.

A Russian emergency Ilyushin Il-76 airplane equipped with five special medical modules and doctors from the all-Russian emergency medicine centre in Zashchita and the emergency group Tsentrospas, part of the Ministry of Emergency Situations, arrived in Volgograd from Moscow three hours ago.

They are working at Volgograd clinics where the injured were taken. The decision about whether to evacuate any of the victims to Moscow for treatment will be taken after an assessment of their conditions, some may be too badly injured to be moved.

A shuttle bus was atacked at 14:05 Moscow time (10:05 GMT) on Monday. The bus was carrying about 40 people, six were killed and 33 were injured, 28 of them were taken to local hospitals. According to  information from the Russian Investigative Committee, the explosive device was detonated by a female suicide bomber from Dagestan who boarded earing a hijab, the explosion was soon after.

Deadly bus explosion in Volgograd was planned for Moscow

The suicide blast that devastated a bus in Volgograd was meant to take place in Moscow, a source in the Russian Investigative Committee told RT.

The investigation also revealed that the bomber had co-conspirators in the capital who are on the wanted list.

According to the source, the investigation shows that Naida Asiyalova, a 30-year-old native of the Republic of Dagestan, is believed to have been behind Monday's bus bomb blast in Volgograd.  She allegedly conspired with her partner, Dmitry Sokolov, and two other militants to carry out a terrorist attack in the Russian capital.

Two of the conspirators, Ruslan Kazanbiyev and Kurban Omarov, both 25, had already arrived in Moscow and were waiting for Asiyalova, RT’s source said. Both men are wanted in Russia for carrying out twin terrorist bombings in Dagestan in May 2012, in which 14 people were killed and over 100 injured.

Bus explosion in southern Russia: suicide bomber not known to police

Naida Asiyalova, a native of Dagestan, who according to the Investigative Committee, was responsible for the suicide bombing of a bus in Volgograd, was not on any wanted list, a committee source told RIA Novosti.

"This woman was never on a wanted list. Law enforcement officers paid close attention to her but never announced her in a wanted list", - said the official.

In turn, a police source in Dagestan told RIA Novosti; that "Naida Asiyalova, who staged the attack in Volgograd, has never been on trial and did not appear in any criminal matters. At the same time, she actively interacted with the representatives of thugs", the spokesman continued.

The explosion inside the "LiAZ" passenger bus occurred at 14.25 MSK (10.25 GMT) in the Krasnoarmeiskiy Volgograd region near the "Lesobaza" bus stop. Six people were killed, as well as the alleged suicide bomber. About 30 passengers were hospitalized in various medical facilities of the city.

Deadly bus explosion in Russia: caused by suicide bomber, 'terror' probe launched

An explosion on a bus in the southern Russian city of Volgograd that killed at least five people was caused by a female suicide bomber, investigators told the Interfax news agency. Russian officials have opened a formal terror probe.

Russian investigators suspect that 30-year-old Naida Ahiyalova from Dagestan was responsible for the bombing that killed at least five people on a bus in the Russian city of Volgograd on Monday.

According to the Deputy head of Russia’s investigation committee investigative department, Valery Safronov, "she adopted Islam recently and she was a militant leader's wife".

“We are checking the information that an attack could have been perpetrated by Naida Asiyalova, wife of Moscow resident Dmitry Sokolov. According to our sources, they went to the same university in Moscow, she recruited him. Sokolov moved to Dagestan and started operating clandestinely. He is currently wanted as a member of an Illegal Makhachkala armed group,” the official said.

According to the spokesperson, the woman’s documents were discovered near the explosion site. A grenade, which is now being disarmed, was also found during the search.

"A criminal case has been opened under articles outlining terrorism, murder and the illegal use of firearms," said Investigative Committee spokesman, Vladimir Markin.

Preliminary data suggested that a hand grenade went off inside the bus. A second grenade was reportedly found and diffused.

Five people were killed in the Volgograd bombing and twenty-eight injured, according to the latest reports.

"Twenty-eight people have been hospitalized. Twenty-seven of them are in serious conditions and cannot be transported. One has a slight concussion," said Volgograd regional government spokesperson Yekaterina Golod.

Officials said the packed bus was carrying about 40 passengers at the time of the explosion.

Earlier, a gas explosion had been listed as a possible cause of the blast. However the transport company that owned the vehicle said it was diesel fueled and there was no gas equipment on board.

© Photo: vk.com/id_evtushenko

"All those who need help are being given our full assistance," an unnamed Volgograd government official separately told the Interfax news agency.

"We have gathered the medicines we need, and called up additional doctors," the official said.

The blast occurred soon after 2:00 pm (1000 GMT) in the Volga River city of Volgograd, about 900 kilometres (560 miles) southeast of Moscow.

Bus explosion in southern Russia: caused by bomb, at least six killed

National Anti-terrorism Committee has confirmed that the deadly blast in the Russian city of Volgograd was caused by an explosive device that detonated in the bus.

"Today at 14.05 Moscow time (10:05 GMT) in Volgograd in a bus, as a result of an unknown explosive device, a blast took place leading to casualties," said a national Anti-terrorist Committee representative.

Local police have ordered all movement of minivan buses to be halted.

"Control headquarters is coordinating fast response services, as well as security forces, to prevent more explosions from happening," he said.

"Six bodies have now been found," the press service for the Investigations Committee has reported.

"Parts of an explosive device have been found at the scene,” a police source has told new agency Interfax.

The latest report says 18 people were injured in the incident, up from the initial seven. According to RT, 20 people were injured.

Eight victims of the Volgograd bus explosion are now in resuscitation wards, a police source has told reporters. “Eight people are in a serious condition and receiving intensive care,” he said.

Earlier the local home ministry claimed that the accident was caused by an out-of-service gas system.

"There were around 40 people on board," said the FSB official.

© Photo: twitter.com/smetanoman

At present police in the region have been reinforced and the accident site is closed off.

The Emergency Situations Ministry rescuers have helped doctors take the wounded to the city's hospitals.

Russia’s Emergency Ministry is ready to send a plane to Volgograd to evacuate the injured to Moscow, according to the official representative of the Emergency Ministry, Irina Rossius.

Volgograd is a city on the Volga River, about 900 kilometres (560 miles) southeast of Moscow.

Bus explodes in southern Russia, at least four killed

Fragments of a fifth body have now been discovered at the scene of a bus explosion in the southern Russian city of Volgograd. Earlier it was repotered that four people were killed and seven others injured Monday when a blast tore through a passenger bus, according to emergency ministry.

"According to preliminary information, four people died and another seven were injured," a Volgograd emergencies ministry spokesman said by telephone, without specifying the cause of the blast.

© Photo: vk.com/id_evtushenko

There was no fire following the exposion, reported Interfax. The explosion occurred at 14:05 Moscow time.

According to TASS, the explosion had no criminal traces, reported local home ministry. According to preliminary data the explosion was caused by an out-of-service gas system.

Voice of Russia, RIA, RT, Interfax, TASS

  •  
    and share via