3 September 2013, 13:47

Ballistic "objects" detected by Russian radar fell into sea - source in Damascus

Minuteman III  баллистическая ракета Минитмэн-3

Two ballistic "objects" that Russia said were launched toward the eastern coast of the Mediterranean on Tuesday fell into the sea, state-run Russian news agency RIA cited a source in Damascus as saying.

Meanwhile the UK Ministry of Defence said they were "aware of the launch" but had nothing to do with it.

Syria radar system did not detect missiles landing in Syria - Al Manar

Syria's early warning radar system did not detect any missiles landing on Syrian territory, according to a Syrian security source quoted by Lebanon's al-Manar television on Tuesday.

Russian radar detected the launch of two ballistic "objects" in the Mediterranean Sea on Tuesday but there was no sign of a missile strike on the Syrian capital Damascus, Russia's state-run RIA news agency said.

Russia spots two missile launches in Mediterranean

Facilities of the Russian early missile attack warning system registered the launch of two ballistic targets in the Mediterranean Sea, the Russian Defense Ministry reports.

"The launch was discovered by the crew of the radar division of the system in Armavir," said an officer from the Defense Ministry.

Flight trajectory of the two ballistic targets extended from the central part of the Mediterranean Sea fired towards the Sea's eastern coastline, reported the source.

The launches took place at 10:16 am Moscow time (0616 GMT) and were detected by the early warning system in Armavir in southern Russia, the Defence Ministry said in a statement quoted by Russian news agencies.

It said Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu had already reported to President Vladimir Putin about the event, which comes amid growing expectations of Western military action in Syria.

Russian embassy in Syria says no sign of missile attack or explosions in Damascus after ballistic launches detected.

"I know nothing about this," said a spokesman for the Russian diplomatic mission in Damascus.

The Pentagon has denied any knowing of the alleged Mediterranean missile launches.

Israel also said it was unaware of any ballistic missile launch being conducted in the eastern Mediterranean.

"We are not aware, at this time, of such an event having occurred," a military spokeswoman in Jerusalem said.

Voice of Russia, AFP, Interfax, TASS, Reuters

  •  
    and share via