14 August 2013, 01:33

Philippines deal with aftermath of Typhoon Utor

Филиппины стихия Филиппины тайфун Бофа жертвы погибшие Филиппины спасатели

Philippine rescuers searched isolated towns devastated by deadly Typhoon Utor on Tuesday, but early preparations appeared to have avoided mass casualties.

The government said four people had been confirmed killed and 11 were missing after Utor, the strongest storm this year, swept across the north of the country on Monday.

The typhoon hit land in Casiguran, leaving the town of 25,000 largely destroyed but with relatively few casualties, said Eduardo del Rosario, head of the government's National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council.

Residents reported no major casualties with troops already clearing roads and distributing relief.

The Philippines is one of the world's most vulnerable countries to typhoons. Storms often make their first landfall there after they form over the Pacific Ocean and move west.

Hundreds of people die from the roughly 20 typhoons or tropical storms that strike the country each year.

Utor hit land with wind gusts reaching 200 kilometers (125 miles) an hour early Monday, making it the strongest storm this year, according to the weather bureau.

Voice of Russia, wire reports

  •  
    and share via