5 August 2013, 11:34

New Proton-M rocket launch set for September

запуск Протон-М ракета СатМекс-8 «Бриз-М

Proton-M rocket

Proton-M rocket

Russia’s Roskosmos space agency has said the new launch of its ill-fated Proton-M rocket is slated for September. The vehicle will lift off at the Baikonur spaceport, agency’s deputy chief Alexander Lopatin has told the media, months after a dramatic failure that resulted in a huge impact at the Kazakhstan-owned cosmodrome.

“The first launch will take place as soon as we are done with pre-arrangements,” Mr. Lopatin said, adding the liftoff was tentatively scheduled for September.

An emergency committee said on Monday it was still investigating the Proton-M crash, which made headlines on July 2, 2013.

The rocket with three satellites for the GLONASS navigation system on board plummeted back seconds after the launch. The committee said the crash had been caused by improperly installed sensors on the Proton Launcher.

Voice of Russia, RIA

  •  
    and share via