12 February 2013, 12:09

Coca-Cola habit as decisive factor that leads to woman's death in New Zealand: coroner

Coca-Cola habit as decisive factor that leads to woman's death in New Zealand: coroner

A New Zealand woman consumed 10 liters of Coca-Cola every day, which eventually played its role in her death, according to a local coroner’s statement released today, a news agency is reporting. The soft drink producer should warn people about health consequences, the coroner says.

Natasha Harris, a 30-year-old woman from New Zealand, drank not less than 10 liters of the fizzy drink every day for years before her death, coroner David Crerar found.

He said the woman suffered from a number of health conditions, but her Coke habit was the major factor that aggravated the situation and she finally died of the cardiac arrhythmia in February 2010.

"I find that when all the available evidence is considered, were it not for the consumption of very large quantities of Coke by Natasha Harris, it is unlikely that she would have died when she died and how she died," the news agency cite the coroner as saying.

The woman’s family said they considered her addicted to Coke. However, they had not considered the habit dangerous, because there were no warnings on the drink’s bottles.

By her 30th birthday Harris had had all her teeth removed, as they had been rotten due to excessive soft drink consumption. One of the woman’s children was born with no enamel on its teeth, reports say.

Crerar said Coca-Cola should consider “adding appropriate warnings [on labels] related to the dangers of consuming excessive quantities of the products".

At the same time he agreed that Coca-Cola could not be held responsible for “the health of consumers who drink unhealthy quantities of the product”.

Coca-Cola Oceania responded to the coroner’s statement noting that the experts had been unable to name the final cause of Harris’s death. The company expressed disappointment that the coroner “had chosen to focus on the combination of Ms Harris' excessive consumption of Coca-Cola, together with other health and lifestyle factors, as the probable cause of her death”.

Voice of Russia, AFP

  •  
    and share via